Sunday, March 29, 2009

Are Free Tools Worth the Price?



Salon Five

I absolutely feel using Web 2.0 tools in the classroom is beneficial for students and teachers. As teachers, our job is not just to present information to the students. We are responsible to teach and guide the students on how to to teach themselves. Also we need to prepare our students for the future. It is apparent the use of online web tools will be part of their future. David Warlick feels, “Accessing, processing, building with, and communicating that information is how we will all make our livings.”

Using wikis, blogs, del.ic.ious, RSS feeds, Glogster are some examples of free tools that can be used in the classroom. Now, it is not necessarily the tools themselves, but how we use them. These tools enable students to communicate with each other, have meaningful conversations with people they would never have meet.

I use many of these tools in my class. I couldn't imagine not having them. I taught for a couple of years without using technology at all. The use of technology and the accessibility to these Web 2.0 tools are enhanced my lessons and I feel I am preparing my students more effectively.

“You are your own best teacher”- Jimmy Buffet

No comments: